You should rotate your Tempurpedic mattress to make your bed more comfortable. Rotating the mattress will provide an even distribution of the fillings, reducing the sagging risks. Try to rotate your Tempurpedic mattress at least twice a year.
Over time the mattress gets more prone to sagging. That’s why, for the old mattress, you might have to rotate it 2-5 times a year. Though flipping it may cause damage, but rotating it will prevent the sagging. Thus, you don’t need to consider “Should I rotate my Tempurpedic mattress.”
In this article, we will discuss why you shouldn’t flip your Tempurpedic mattress. Also, we will provide the complete procedures for rotating the mattress. So, keep reading.
Can You Flip Your Tempurpedic Mattress?
The mattress may sag down due to prolonged use. But flipping or rotating the mattress may help to prevent sagging and can also make the mattress long-lasting. However, this term isn’t the same for all types of mattresses.
Some manufacturers recommend flipping or rotating the mattress often, and some prohibit doing so. Flipping it means you will turn it over. Therefore, the upper face of the mattress will be on the downside now. On the other hand, rotating means, you are turning the whole mattress 180°.
Tempurpedic mattresses are one of those whose manufacturers prohibit flipping the mattress. But, the mattress is rotatable as it will not damage the foam. There are multiple factors that are important in this regard:
The Tempurpedic mattress comes with a one-sided design. That means it has a soft comfort foam layer only on one side. The other side of the mattress is mainly for support, and thus they are harder.
Mainly, the upper layer is made of memory foam and latex. Manufacturers incorporate the air inside the comfort foam to make it more comfortable.
At the same time, the bottom layer of it contains dense poly foam. This layer is way denser, harder, and stronger than the top layer.
Due to the design of Tempurpedic mattresses, it’s entirely unsuitable for flipping. Because if you flip it, the soft side will go down. And the dense and firm poly-foam layer will be upside down.
If you sleep on this side, you won’t feel comfortable sleeping. Also, you may have to deal with body aches and pain while sleeping on a hard surface.
The only reason you shouldn’t flip the one-sided mattresses is not about comfort. This flipping can also cause structural damage to your mattress. Let’s see how it will damage the structure:
- The soft comfort layer cannot hold the pressure of the whole mattress. But when you flip it over, the entire pressure will go onto the soft foam
- Excessive pressure on the soft layer will cause irreversible damage to the comfort layer
- The air entrapped inside the memory foam will get compressed, and the foam will become firm
- The longevity of the mattress will reduce due to sagging caused by the flipping
To keep the quality of the high-end material sound, Tempurpedic recommends several maintenance tips to keep the high-end material’s quality good. Those are:
- This mattress is highly temperature sensitive. That’s why avoid using any heating blankets or pads for more than 30 minutes on these mattresses
- Don’t use any random cover on it. Rater, use the particular mattress protector that the manufacturers will provide
- You mustn’t use any chlorine products while washing the cover
- Keep the mattress always dry. If you spill any liquid on it, use a towel to soak the excess liquid from the foam. Then, you can dry the wet area by using a fan
- Avoid flipping the mattress and also rotating it if not necessary
The manufacturers of this mattress recommend not to rotate it usually. However, over time, the mattress will get firm in those areas where you usually sleep.
That’s why you should sometimes rotate the mattress for your sleeping comfort. This will help to even the fillings inside the mattress and prevent premature sagging. These are the following steps for rotating this mattress :
- Step 1: Please read the manufacturers’ instructions first for rotating it properly
- Step 2: Remove all the pillows and bedding from it
- Step 3: Ask help from another person to move the mattress as it’s pretty heavy. You and the other one have to go to each side of the bed
- Step 4: Both of you have to lift the mattress a few inches up from the bed
- Step 5: You will move to the head of the bed, and the other person will move towards the foot while holding the mattress
- Step 6: Put the mattress on the bed. In this stage, both of the handles now will be on the head and foot side
- Step 7: Now, you need to come to the foot side, and another one has to move to the head side
- Step 8: Both of you have to lift the mattress again and have to move to your previous starting positions. In this way, the final alignment of the mattress will be 180° rotated position from the initial alignment
- Step 9: Adjust the mattress on the bed again
Tips For Safe Moving And Handling Of The Tempurpedic Mattresses
Several tips can help you to avoid injury or damage to mattresses while moving or handling them. Those are:
- Try to use gloves to protect your hand from unexpected injury
- Move the mattresses, keeping them flat. Always try to avoid folding them
- If necessary, you can fold the mattress by keeping the tempur side on the top
- Don’t keep the mattresses in the folded position for a more extended period
- Below 50° Fahrenheit, the mattress can stay slightly folded even after unfolding. In this case, don’t try to make it forcefully flat. After a few minutes, it will come back to the flat position automatically
- You can use the handles of the mattress to adjust the position, not for carrying it
- Try to rotate the mattress every 6 months in a year. If you are using it for a long time, doing it 2-5 times a year. is better
Like other mattresses, it is not mandatory to rotate the Tempurpedic mattresses. From the beginning, we tried to eliminate confusions like “Should I Rotate My Tempurpedic Mattress.”
Generally, flipping may damage the mattress conditions more, but rotating may help to make it long-lasting. That’s why you should rotate the mattress, maintaining an appropriate interval between the rotating. Following the steps and tips, you can make a successful rotation without any damage to your mattress.