You cannot flip a single-sided pillow-top mattress, because the extra padding layer is only on one side of the mattress. Flipping this mattress means sleeping on the less comfortable side of the mattress. On the other hand, you can flip a double-sided pillow-top mattress.
By the way, flipping a one-sided mattress defeats the purpose of having a pillow-top mattress in the first place. Furthermore, flipping a pillow-top mattress can void the warranty, so following the manufacturer’s maintenance instructions is best.
This article will discuss whether or not you can flip a pillow-top mattress and alternatives to flipping a mattress, pros, and cons, and so on.
Understanding Pillow Top Mattresses
Before determining whether you can flip a pillow-top mattress, knowing what pillow-top mattress is essential. A pillow-top mattress has an additional layer of padding on top of the mattress. This layer, typically made of foam or fiberfill, provides extra comfort and cushioning.
One of the advantages of this mattress is that it provides additional cushioning and support. This is especially useful for those with back or joint pain, as the extra padding can help relieve pressure points and provide a more comfortable sleeping experience.
Furthermore, the pillow-top layer can help distribute body weight more evenly, resulting in a better night’s sleep overall.
Another benefit of this mattress is its versatility. Pillow-top mattresses are available in various firmness levels, from soft to extra firm, making finding a mattress that meets your sleeping needs simple.
There are two types of pillow-top mattresses: single-sided and double-sided. Single-sided mattresses have the pillow layer sewn onto one side of the mattress. At the same time, the double-sided mattresses have the pillow layer sewn onto both sides.
Can You Flip A Pillow Top Mattress?
One-sided pillow-top mattresses, unlike traditional mattresses, are not designed to be flipped over. This is because the pillow layer is only sewn onto one side of the mattress. So, flipping it over would result in sleeping on the mattress’s underside, which is not intended for regular use.
On the other hand, if your pillow-top mattress is dual-sided, you can flip it over just like a regular mattress.
What Happens When A Single-Sided Pillow Top Mattress Is Flipped?
Let’s discuss what happens if you flip a single-sided pillow-top mattress.
If you try to flip a single-sided mattress, you may notice a significant difference in comfort and support. The mattress’s underside lacks the same cushioning and support as the pillow layer, specifically designed for sleeping on.
Do Damage To The Mattress
You may damage a single-sided mattress if you attempt to flip it over. This is because the mattress’s underside is not intended for regular use.
Void The Warranty
Many manufacturers recommend against flipping their mattresses, and doing so may result in a voided warranty.
How Often Should You Flip A Pillow Top Mattress?
As previously stated, unlike traditional mattresses, pillow-top mattresses are not typically designed to be flipped over. Instead, you should rotate your mattress every three to six months.
Turning the mattress 180 degrees causes the foot of the bed to become the head of the bed and vice versa. This helps to evenly distribute wear and tear across the mattress, which can help to extend its lifespan.
However, if you have a double-sided mattress, it is generally recommended to flip it every six to twelve months. Experts recommend flipping your mattress every 6-12 months to ensure that both sides wear evenly.
The Pros And Cons Of Flipping A Pillow Top Mattress
Let’s delve into the pros and cons of flipping a double-sided mattress and its impact on sleep quality and longevity.
Pros Of Flipping A Mattress
Here’re some advantages of flipping a pillow-top mattress.
- Increases Longevity: One of the primary benefits of flipping a mattress is that it can extend its lifespan. Flipping your mattress helps to evenly distribute your body weight evenly, preventing sagging and the formation of body impressions.
- Enhanced Comfort: The top layer may compress over time, decreasing comfort levels. Flipping it enables you to sleep on the more comfortable side.
- Improved Sleep Quality: As previously stated, flipping helps to redistribute your body weight evenly, preventing the formation of body impressions. This means you’ll be less likely to toss and turn during the night, resulting in better sleep quality.
The Cons Of Flipping A Pillow Top Mattress
- These mattresses are heavy and difficult to move, especially when done alone. Furthermore, you may require assistance flipping the mattress. This can be inconvenient and time-consuming, making it difficult to do consistently.
How To Flip Your Mattress
Here are the step-by-step instructions on how to flip your double-sided pillow top mattress.
Step 1: Remove everything on the mattress
Remove all bedding, including sheets, pillowcases, and mattress protectors.
Step 2: Examine the mattress
Check for any stains, damage, or wear and tear. If you notice any, spot clean or repair them before flipping your mattress.
Step 3: Rotate the mattress
To rotate the mattress, turn it 180 degrees so that the foot of the mattress is now at the head of the bed.
Step 4: Flip the mattress
Stand at the foot of the bed and grab the bottom of the mattress with both hands. Lift the mattress and pull it towards you until it stands.
Step 5: Reposition the mattress
While holding the mattress, carefully move it to the other side of the bed. Make sure that the mattress is centered on the bed.
Step 6: Lower the mattress
Slowly lower the mattress onto the bed frame. Ensure that the corners of the mattress are aligned with the corners of the bed frame.
Step 7: Reinstall bedding
Once the mattress is in place, reinstall all bedding, including sheets, blankets, and pillows.
Tips For Flipping Different Types Of Mattresses
Here are some pointers for flipping various kinds of mattresses:
- Innerspring mattress: Rotate it before flipping it. This helps to keep the mattress from sagging in the middle.
- Memory Foam mattresses: It is critical to be gentle when flipping a memory foam mattress to avoid damaging the foam. Rather than lifting the mattress, slide it across the bed frame.
- Hybrid mattresses: To flip a hybrid mattress, proceed in the same manner as you would an innerspring mattress.
Precautions To Take When Flipping A Mattress
Flipping a mattress can be a physically demanding task, so take the following precautions to avoid injury:
- Ask for help: Because flipping a mattress can be difficult, it’s always a good idea to seek help from others.
- Lift the mattress properly: Bend your knees and keep your back straight. Lift with your legs rather than your back.
- Take breaks: If you are fatigued, stop and rest before continuing.
- Be aware of potential obstacles: When moving the mattress, be mindful of any obstacles, such as furniture or walls.
Alternatives To Flipping A Pillow top Mattress
Because single-sided mattresses cannot be flipped, it is critical to understand how to care for them properly. Alternatives to flipping a mattress include:
Rotate The Mattress
Although the one-sided pillow-top mattress cannot be flipped, it can be rotated. When you rotate the mattress, you turn it 180 degrees, so the head becomes the foot, and the foot becomes the head.
Use A Mattress Topper
Instead of flipping the mattress, you can refresh your sleeping surface using a mattress topper. A mattress topper is a layer of padding you can remove and place on top of your mattress. It can provide additional comfort and cushioning while also regulating your body temperature.
How Can You Maintain A Pillow Top Mattress?
If you have a pillow-top mattress, it is essential to maintain it properly to ensure it lasts for as long as possible.
- Rotate the mattress regularly: Rotating the mattress will help distribute your body’s weight more evenly, preventing sagging and ensuring the pillow top remains plush and comfortable.
- Protect the mattress: It is essential to protect it from spills, stains, and dust. You can do this by using a mattress protector, creating a barrier between your body and the mattress.
- Clean the mattress: Even with a mattress protector, cleaning your mattress is essential. To do this, simply vacuum the mattress using the upholstery attachment of your vacuum cleaner.
- Avoid jumping on the mattress: Jumping can cause the coils to bend and the pillow top to compress, leading to sagging and discomfort.
- Don’t overload the bed: While it may be tempting to pile on many blankets, pillows, and other bedding, this can put extra pressure on the mattress and cause it to sag over time.
This section covers the frequently asked questions on Pillow Top Mattress
How do you fix a sagging pillow top mattress?
A pillow top mattress can provide a comfortable and luxurious sleeping surface, but it may begin to sag over time, causing discomfort and disrupting sleep. Fortunately, there are several strategies you can try to fix a sagging pillow top mattress:
- Rotate the mattress
- Use a mattress topper
- Add support under the mattress
How long should a pillow top mattress last?
A pillow top mattress can last between 5 to 8 years on average, but its lifespan can be influenced by various factors such as build quality, materials used, weight of sleepers, sleeping styles, and how well it is maintained.
How do I know if my mattress can be flipped?
If you’re wondering whether your mattress can be flipped, the answer depends on the design of your specific mattress. Here are some ways to determine if your mattress can be flipped or not:
- Check the mattress label or manufacturer’s instructions.
- Determine the type of mattress you have.
- Assess the firmness of your mattress.
- Look for a quilt panel on both sides of the mattress.
- Consult with a mattress expert.
Are you supposed to rotate a pillow top mattress?
It is generally recommended to rotate a pillow top mattress to help evenly distribute wear and prevent sagging over time. Rotating the mattress involves turning it 180 degrees so that the head of the mattress becomes the foot and vice versa. The frequency of rotation can vary depending on the mattress type and manufacturer’s recommendations.
So, can you flip a pillow-top mattress? If you have a one-sided mattress, you should avoid flipping it over, as this can cause discomfort and other issues. However, if you have a two-sided mattress, flipping it over can help to extend its life and prevent sagging.
While flipping a mattress can be beneficial, weighing the pros and cons is essential. If you’re uncomfortable flipping the mattress on your own or have a one-sided mattress, there are alternatives, such as rotating the mattress or using a mattress topper.