Without the use of harmful chemicals or synthetic materials, organic mattresses are made from natural resources. They are, therefore, beneficial for health, environment, sleep, and investment. This justifies purchasing an organic mattress.
Contrarily, conventional mattresses are not as durable as organic beds and may contain carcinogens, which could harm health. There are various reasons to choose organic mattresses instead of conventional ones.
So, to live healthier, sound sleep is a must. To enjoy restful sleep, an organic bed is a must. To know the supremacy of organic mattresses over traditional beds, this article is a must. Hence, keep scrolling!
Mattresses can be labeled organic if they’re made of natural materials, are not subjected to harsh chemicals, and comply with GOLS certification.
The following comparison between organic latex mattresses and conventional products depicts the supremacy of organic beds.
|Benefits of Organic Beds||Limitations of Traditional Mattress|
|Free of toxic volatile organic compounds (VOC), not treated with harsh chemicals||Retains harsh chemicals, sometimes pesticides, toxic glue, dyes, gels, etc.|
|Hypoallergenic||Aggravate exposure to allergies worsens respiratory health|
|Naturally flame-resistant||Fire retardant|
|Biodegradable, Eco-friendly, Sustainable||Sustaining in the environment|
|Sturdy||Not so, Easily degrades and compresses|
You should settle on the organic mattress because organic beds are-
- Toxic Chemical/Carcinogen Free: The raw materials of organic beds are: organic latex, cotton, and wool. None of them contain any harmful chemicals. Also, they’re free from boric acid, formaldehyde, and polyurethane.
No pesticides are used to grow these components. And the manufacturing process is free from harsh chemicals. Being free of toxic chemicals, the risk of cancer and other health harshes diminishes.
- Hypoallergenic: This is a great plus if you’re an asthmatic patient. Exposure to allergens that is present in non-organic beds may worsen your symptoms. And guess what? Your nights turn terrific, let alone sleep! The association between wheezing and synthetic bedding is also proven in children. Therefore, artificial beds are not infant-friendly.
On the contrary, organic beds have antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. Plus, they’re resistant to dust, many bacteria, fungi, molds, bedbugs, and water. In a word, they’re hypoallergenic.
- Regulates temperature: It’s a miracle of organic beds that they can control body temperature. Here, organic wool is the magician.
In winter, wools lend a layer of dry air circulating next to the skin. Thus, the body remains warm. But, in summer, wool can absorb sweat and lower body heat. As a result, you can enjoy a great night’s rest at an optimum temperature.
- Comfort: Organic beds provide support to your body as much as you need so you can sleep uninterrupted. Thus, they’re pretty comfortable.
- Biodegradable: The natural mattress is biodegradable after its lifespan.
Meanwhile, the ingredients of organic beds are renewable too. Consequently, these beds are tagged as eco-friendly.
- Naturally burn resistant: Conventional mattress often comprises a coating of carcinogenic flame retardant. They’re potentially harmful to health. On the other hand, organic wool, a component of organic beds, is surprisingly flame resistant.
- Safe and Comfortable: Infants and toddlers spend most of their time sleeping. Again, their immune system is not yet strong enough to fight against allergens, poisonous chemicals, dust mites, etc. Hence, organic mattresses are suitable for kids.
- Easy Clean: Kids’ beds frequently need to be changed. Organic mattresses are lighter. Plus, they don’t retain spots. Therefore, very easy to clean them!
- Reasonably priced: Though the price of organic mattresses exceeds synthetic beds, you can’t blame them. In the long run, the cost per year is significantly lower. And the gifts they offer are worth your investment!
- Durable: Natural mattress lasts for decades, further making them the best bet for the price. Once you spend on an organic bed, it continues serving you without requiring replacement. So, it’s not pricey in a broader sense.
Longer life expectancy is because they don’t break down on stretching.
Mattresses made of organic latex can quickly revert to their original shape after being stretched by up to 50% when wet and 30% when dry. Furthermore, organic wool is more resilient to tearing or compression because it can be bent 20,000 times without breaking.
Some manufacturers offer 20/25 years, even a lifetime warranty sometimes, which further proves its longevity.
Every blessing has some shortcomings. No wonder organic mattress is also the same. But the enormous benefits of organic mattresses can mask their little drawbacks. Here are some of its weaknesses:
- Expensive than conventional beds
- Little options to choose from
- Limited Retailers
To dispel your concerns about organic mattresses, we list some of the most frequent inquiries about them here.
The conventional mattress has devastating effects on health. Followings are widely documented
- Lung damage
- Shortness of breath
- Skin and eye irritation
- Reproductive failure
Most of these are due to polyurethane foam, says EPA. Polyurethane is an insulator used to regulate temperature.
Some non-organic mattresses are also labeled as organic by fake traders. However, it can be confirmed by the following certifications:
- Global Organic Textile Standard(GOTS): GOTS certified manufacturer means they abide by the rules of organic and non-toxic standards.
- Global Organic Latex Standard
- Organic Content Standard 100
People today are looking for a cleaner way of life. So, eating organic foods is something that many people are aware of. But remember, you eat three times daily while spending one-third of the day in bed. Therefore, denying the need for an organic mattress is a foolish move.
You know that organic beds are somewhat more pricey than conventional beds. But you’re also aware of the exceptional features of a natural mattress. So, sacrifice the little extra dollars and do a favor for your health.